The Little Green Rope That Could

It’s funny the things you remember, but I have a very distinct memory of walking in to Preston’s Chandlery in Greenport with my Dad to buy this particular piece of line. I was about 12 or 13 and my folks had just bought a Sunfish (which as I recall needed some work…) We needed a length of rope for the mainsheet, and I remember the man at the chandlerly measuring it off, cutting it, and carefully coiling it with an almost religious reverence. It served me well on that little Sunfish, some of the best sailing I’ve ever done was onboard exploring the nooks and crannies of the North shore of Long Island . The little green rope came along on some adventures aboard our day-sailor, notably during a March snowstorm on the Rappahanock (whoops).

Darby took this picture, as he was the only one whose hands were  warm enough to function. He just got married this weekend. Congrats Darbs and Kim!

More recently it helped pull the backstay chainplate into position so I could bolt the chainplate in place. I’ve written about my love of simple machines, and this particular problem required the use of a spanish windlass. The new backstay chainplate I had fabricated didn’t quite want to fit where it was supposed to go. It needed to be pulled into place by just the tiniest fraction of an inch so the bolts which attach the chainplate to the hull would fit through the bolt-holes. So I hooked up my trusty green rope in a loop with the chainplate attached on one end and the stern railing on the other. Insert a length of pipe, and twist until the bolts clear the holes, or something breaks. Luckily nothing broke and I was able to get the chainplate bedded and sealed up.

Butyl Tape

Let’s see, what else…Ryan and I put on the sheer stripe.

We used vinyl tape, and it took a few tries to get a nice fair curve, but we’re pleased with the results. This next section is entitled “Moving Heavy Things.”

Jared and Jess and a 4-Part Tackle. And a 250 lb engine.

This section is entitled “Moving Heavy Things: Engine Finds a New Home.”

The engine now resides at a marine consignment store called “Nauti Nells” in Deltaville, VA. You should probably think about buying it. The guys at the marina were able to move the keel blocks and jackstands around to let me get at the last remaining patches of old bottom paint. I sanded away all the old stuff, painted with epoxy, and hit it with fairing compound. It was kind of nice to see how far the boat has come, it’s hard to believe the entire hull looked like this not too long ago. That being said, I’m really, really, really sick of sanding. I already burned up one sander, and if everybody reading this knocks on wood, I think my current one will make it to the end of the project before crapping out. We just need to put the rig back in the boat, paint a few patches and we’ll be sailing! Still a lot to do on the interior, but we’ll git her done.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “The Little Green Rope That Could

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s