Misadventures in Epoxy

We took advantage of the nice weather to get some epoxying done. Mixed up a batch with West Marine’s 407 low density fairing dust stuff, pretty much = marine grade bondo. The idea is to work it into the cracks of the gelcoat then fair everything up in preparation for painting. The first application was a bit heavy and will probably require quite a bit of sanding, but the second time around we got the hang of it and I think it looks pretty good. We got about 30% of the underbody done  in about 3 hours.

The 407 mixed with the resin is a reddish color, just about the same shade as the old bottom paint. After all those hours of scraping away at the hull, it now looks like it did when we started. On the bright side, I found a pair of sunglasses on the boat. Sweet!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s